BETWEEN THE BALANCE played to rave reviews at the January 2022 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It was during the Covid Pandemic & all of my dance & theatre concerts that I am hired to capture cancelled & postponed indefinately.
But when I met Nicole Kadar, the choreographer who was performing at a local venue, we spoke about the possibility of working together and She invited me to come see a rehearsal & capture a dress run through.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The dance itself was a full evening concert, choreographed by Nicole & Dancers & the music is an original composition by: William Catanzaro.
It took me about a week to ten days from capture to final…
The idea to create a mirrored affect took place the evening I shot the video. It was late at night, I was uploading the footage and started to look for an affect that would best portray the mood of the concert. So I started using filters & effects and came across the mirror filter in FCPx and I liked it…
I am usually a straight shooter, what I see is what I get. but This night I gave myself permission to go with the mirror effect…
At first it was too long & seemed to repeat itself…
So I watch it over & over to see what moments held my attention.
and I clicked on the timeline at the point my attention faded…
& came up with 4 minutes.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Making sure the film held my interest from beginning to end.
And the Composer & choreographer were also pleased with the final edit
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Initially I was holding my breathe just trying to keep an open mind to what people were saying, and then I felt proud to hear that others were enjoying the film…
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Ever since I can remember, My family always had an 8mm movie camera with us at every event. It was when I worked at College in the film lab and began to study dance. I also started experimenting with video & still photography with the dancers & dance company.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
What a wonderful Life –
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I didn’t expect the film festival to further my career in filmmaking.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Going through FilmFreeway was an easy process. They offer a listing of film festivals that I could research and apply to those I felt were a good fit for my film. & I’ll def use them again…
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m working a documentary of a 70 year old family business that is now in it’s last few months before becoming defunct.
I’m constantly working with dancers/ choreographers capturing dance.
I’m also working on a series of dance films captured with my drone.