DEVIENS was the winner of BEST FILM at the January 2022 DANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Julien Mabin: Loved the subject Adrien pitched me. He and I being friends for more than a decade (we met in LA in 2009), I knew his touch and sensitivity were ideal with a childhood and family theme.
Adrien Lhommedieu: I’m really obsessed with the sea and the Opal Coast where I grew up and I always wanted to do a film “about it” but in a poetic way. Combined with classical danse and the childhood theme, I knew I had the subject I wanted to shoot.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
JM: Adrien and I had the idea back in december 2017. It took a long time to reunite the good artistic team, notably the dancer but we wrapped it up by October 2020.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
JM: Sensitive but sharp
AL: poetic and contemplative
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
JM: Finding the right time to shoot with all the elements aligned: Director, Dancer, Young Comedian, Technicians, Camera, Weather etc.
AL: working with children
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
JM: satisfied that the project went through professionally and of course that people were mooved by it.
AL:i was really moved ! I loved the feedback video, as a filmmaker it’s what I’m looking for, take people by the hand and show them another works where they can dream and escape reality.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
JM: when I was a kid
AL: same as Julien ! When I was a kid.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
JM: A movie called FRESH directed by Boaz Yakin and awarded at Sundance in 1994.
AL: I think it’s Shining.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
JM: Be a partner on the long feature project for DEVIENS 🙂
AL: invite the filmmakers on location, helping create connexion for the next project !
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
JM: all good
10. What is your favorite meal?
JM: Lamb shanks with green beans and chestnuts 😉 – but has to be well cooked.
AL: bread 🥖 and 🧀 cheese (i am French, did I tell you?)
11. What is next for you? A new film?
JM: A short movie to shoot as a director, a TV series in development and getting on the long feature with Adrien 🙂
AL: I’m in the editng of my next short film “DUPLICATA” and writing other stories !