GHOST LAKE was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the January 2022 DANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Jon and Shanice: Antonio and Daphne are a true Flamenco couple and live a fascinating love story that was waiting to be told through film. When our musical collaborators sent us the track, we knew we wanted to explore the dance choreography around grief and what it means to lose a loved one.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We started around August and we worked a few months to make it happen from storyboarding to choreography.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Shanice: Love hurts
Jon: beautifully tragic
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Shanice: The weather, we needed a clear day to shoot this and we had been rained on before and had a different location but everything came together in the end
Jon: One big thing and an army of tiny ones – the brutal tropical sun and endless insects.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
We loved watching everyone react and share all the details to the film they enjoyed. Coming from Singapore and seeing everyone else not from Singapore reacting was a very touching experience and definitely we appreciate that the work was well received.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Shanice: When I got an iPhone and I could capture all these amazing moments
Jon: When the coconut hooves galloped on screen in Monty Python and The Holy Grail
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Shanice: Home Alone
Jon: Catch Me If You Can
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
We are quite happy with the processes so far
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
We love using Filmfreeway it’s an amazing platform that we have used to share our works
10. What is your favorite meal?
Shanice: I love a good pasta dish
Jon:Any time with friends at casual sushi joints
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Shanice: I made a big move to Canada to work on a theatre show where I’m performing!
Jon: I’m DoPing my first feature!