THE MAZE played to rave reviews at the January 2022 DANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
As soon as the pandemic started and suddenly everything was closed, my creation chakras had opened. All of a sudden everything around me was a source of inspiration. Sceneries, music, little gestures and movements of my little kid . At the same time there was a very great sense of uncertainty in my profession as a dancer. When I went down to our building’s basement to get some things, suddenly everything connected to me. It was clear to me that this place embeds all of my existential fears and I just had to use that location to create something that will later become “The Maze”
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
When we started filming the movie, we found out I was pregnant with my second child, and due a medical problem I could not do any strenuous work with my body for two weeks which shortened the time that I could film without showing my newly formed belly. Adding to the fact that the filming was done in a New York basement in the middle of the winter I could say that when we finished filming that part of the project everything else started to get on the fast track.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Mostly grateful and flattered that people had taken the time to watch my work.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In the summer of 2020 after being in a long Covid induced lockdown I had time to reflect that it was my time to vent out and start expressing myself and create my own movement and not just serve as a professional dancer in other’s work
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
It would be great if from the point of admission to the festival there would be an acceptance letter that includes more explanation about when, where and how the film would be screened, to whom the film was sent, and who are the people that would give the feedback to the film. In this sense the information was a bit lacking.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It was a great experience for me. Overall the exposure to so many festivals from all over the world who are interested in video dance and not just feature films was very gratifying.
10. What is your favorite meal?
A Tunisian dish from my Grandma’s house, couscous with soup
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am working on a new movie that deals with pregnancy and childbirth. There is something to expect ☺