WHEN SHE WAS GOOD was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the December 2021 WILDsound Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We wanted to discuss the problems around lying to your children about Santa and explore child abuse. Christmas is so often portrayed as a beautiful time of year, but for some it is incredibly difficult too.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We started writing the film in March 2020. We then shot it in August 2020 and were finished in post by January 2021.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We started working on this film at the start of the Covid outbreak. Everything was very unknown and we were one of the first crews to shoot during Covid so it was difficult navigating the new restrictions.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
We were really pleased the film resonated with so many people and they felt Riley’s pain.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I initially wanted to be an actress. While I was studying English Literature at University, I developed a love of photography. Reading so many stories combined with a love of visual storytelling led me to want to make films.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I studied Todd Haynes’ CAROL while preparing for WHEN SHE WAS GOOD and ended up watching it a total of ten times – it’s probably the most times I’ve ever watched any movie.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
It would be great to set up a mentoring scheme with more established filmmakers – or a way of meeting some of the other filmmakers. Otherwise, the festival is a great way to receive feedback.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Excellent – very easy and nice to have everything in one place.
10. What is your favourite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am developing another short and a feature with my co-writer from WHEN SHE WAS GOOD.