THE PATH OF LIGHT was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the December 2021 BLACK & WHITE Film Festival.
What motivated you to make this film?
First of all, my passion for photography. Even though I only started to actually exercise it after my fifties, this universal art taught me how to look at the world. And it is such an important thing to know how to do nowadays!
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About four months, between choosing the photos, selecting the soundtrack and editing. Actually, this short film was part of a larger one, with other photographers, but I choose to use only my part.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Discipline and passion.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Honestly, I didn’t really face any obstacles. It was like this project was already done in my mind and all I had to do was edit it.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The perspective of others is a fundamental part, so that the creator can know how his or her work reaches the audience. I appreciated every single observation made!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Ever since I was very young, about 20 years old. But to make cinema in Brazil is an extremely difficult job, so I chose to work on the TV as a first step into this world. In 2003, I won my first award for a short film at the Girona Festival, in Spain, and since then I’ve been studying and practicing photography, as well as writing scripts.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Oh my, there are so many! But all of Stanley Kubrick’s work, definitely.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Beyond what you have already offered? I do not know… I thought everything was great.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Excellent. A fast, clear and efficient communication.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Pizza & Wine…
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I intend to take on this subject again in January of 2022, focusing now on the work and the trajectory of photographers that inspire me.