I AM THE CANDIDATE was the winner of BEST SATIRE at the December 2021 POLITICAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I began writing the video on Election night 2016. I felt I had to do something; I decided laughter was what needed to counter the gloom I felt.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me about 6 weeks to work out the sequences with the soundtrack and then garner the nerve to actually attempt it. It was on a Tuesday that I first met the director and played him the soundtrack and discussed my idea; we filmed it that Sunday in a theater once owned by Mel Brooks. It took about 7 hours to shoot. On Monday I met with the editor go over what order was needed and what to look for in the footage; and then on Friday he presented me the finished product. Six days from start to finish.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I had never done any video before nor had any camera time and I was very concerned I would make a fool of myself and waste everyone’s time.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was thrilled to watch the audience reaction. It was very fulfilling to hear them describe what they enjoyed about the video especially as they all mentioned some of those little details I worked hard to get across and they all commented on the soundtrack as well so all bases were covered.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
My video is my one and only forte into video. I had already recorded the soundtrack so when the narrative so obviously presented itself, I felt compelled to make the video.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Godfather. I’m sure I have seen it more than any other film as I never tire of it’s magnificence.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I’m sorry but I can’t think of anything you need to do to improve the festival experience. This is the most involvement I have ever had in any festival and I was happy just to have been selected so the Win for Best Satire is ice cream on the cake.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I can easily say I owe the success and exposure of my video to FilmFreeway. It is so simple and easy to use and you can choose from thousands of festivals all around the world from instantly the comfort of your chair.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m hoping the success of this video will help with gaining access as “solicited material” for another soundtrack I have in the can.