777 was the winner of BEST CRIME FILM at the December 2021 CRIME/MYSTERY Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Frustration with my music career and a desire to murder the audience (that is literally the plot of the short) I’m only half kidding. It’s just something that I thought I COULD make and decided to give it a shot. I’m very lucky to have a group of friends (The Woodies <3) who were crazy enough to trust my dark humor and jump on board and help me put together this weird little movie.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
4 years. Financing your own project means I needed to do a bunch of side projects to keep this one afloat.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Asking for favors. Begging location managers. Directing non-actors. Stealing equipment. Raising money. Staying positive and keeping the vibe lit for everyone.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
My heart was overflowing with love.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was in a band and I loved creating background visuals for our live shows. I used to chop my favorite movies to the beat of our songs and that process made me so happy i figured how hard can it be to make a movie of my own (..answer: extremely hard)
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Terminator 2, by the time i was ten years old, I’ve already seen it 100 times.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
LIVE EVENTS. There’s nothing like meeting people face to face after you watched the movie together. You see which jokes land. The audience reaction helped me understand my movie so much.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
No problems there.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Spicy eggplant spinach cheese empanadas w/ coffee
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Make music with my brother and start working on the next movie: a time-traveling psychosexual dark comedy with Billie Eilish playing Pierce Brosnan’s mother.