YES, DARLING! was the winner of BEST DIRECTION at the November 2021 THRILLER/SUSPENSE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The main motivation came from life itself. Last year we got way too much news about homicides when people chopped a body with a saw to get rid of it.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about 2 months to write the script and then several months of pre-production. We had to shift principal photography for a month because of clashing schedules. The shooting itself took 4 days. Postproduction took a few months. So, totally 5-6 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We had a great crew and I can always completely rely on my Producer (Alexandra Tomilina), so any production obstacles are manageable, but there is one I should mention – it’s the understanding that you choose the right plot to shoot. For me, it always has to be: “That’s it! That’s the story I want to tell”.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It is always a thrill for me – hearing what other people think about the film. Did they understand the plot? Do they like it? What are they gonna mention?
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I realized it in my early years, but what is most important it’s understanding that you are ready to “speak” as a director. Before that, you are only allowed to “listen”.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Never did any math here, It really depends on a life period. As a kid, I’ve easily missed my classes just to be able to watch the “Back to the Future” trilogy 2 times in a row on my TV.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
It’s an honor for us to become a winner at Thriller/Suspense festival. Thank you so much for all you do for the filmmakers! It motivates us to shoot more films in the future. It’s the first festival with feedback videos we’ve participated in. So cool! Don’t really know what else you could do. Everything is great! (Working in the industry together one day maybe?)
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Submitting via Filmfreeway was pretty easy.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Most of the time I like what I cook myself.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Next is gonna be a teaser-trailer short film to pitch and get funding for my feature film.