1. What is your screenplay about?
A human teenager, Brian, lives in the diverse fictional British city of Condolexia, where humans and other fantasy races (elves, drows, orcs, goblins, vampires, etc) converge. He’s descended from a dynasty of vampire hunters, and he’s the next in line to take over his family’s duty of regulating vampire behavior. In the wake of a break-up with his girlfriend, Brian befriends lonely fellow teenager Jeremy, the youngest son of the Vampire King, and they bond over their mutual loneliness. Though they hit it off immediately, their newfound friendship is threatened both by the arrival of a killer vampire and Brian’s own budding feelings for Jeremy.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Urban fantasy, drama, and romance.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Condolexia is a pilot episode with a diverse cast that mixes real world issues of self-discovery and identity with well-known fantasy tropes in a modern day setting.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Identity and love. The story revolves around identity and finding oneself, as well as loving in the face of adversity.
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
It’s hard to say because I’ll rewatch my favorite movies on a semi-regular basis, but probably Jim Henson’s Labyrinth.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I’ve been developing the concept for the last 3 years, and finally wrote the pilot this year.
7. How many stories have you written?
I’ve written four features, three shorts, and this pilot (along with two additional episodes).
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
“Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult. It’s definitely on my playlist for when I work on this story.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I initially wrote the story as a feature that was 125 pages and still in need of a few scenes. It was getting to be too long with an ensemble cast that all needed more development, so I opted to to expand it into a series instead. This is my first pilot episode also, and I’ve never written anything structured for TV before.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I love drawing, and I often draw character designs for my scripts. I enjoy a lot of general crafting, sewing, knitting, crocheting. I also enjoy fishkeeping and have a room dedicated to my aquariums.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I’ve had a positive experience using FilmFreeway. I’ve found a lot of unique festivals that aren’t hosted on other submission sites.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I’ve submitted to different Wildsound festivals before, and this is my third time submitting to the Fantasy/Sci-fi festival. This is one of my favorite festivals for constructive feedback, and it’s helped me each time.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
In the eternally twilit city of Condolexia, 18 year old human Brian Marlowe befriends 18 year old vampire Jeremy Liu. But their new friendship is threatened by Brian’s family legacy of vampire hunting, a series of vampire attacks in the city, and Brian’s own budding conflicted feelings about Jeremy.
Narrator: Val Cole
Brian: Steve Rizzo
Jeremy: Allan Michael Brunet