FOR ALL THE KINGS was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the November 2021 LGBTQ+ Short Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I initially started this project because our local film festival was opening submissions. I had just graduated from college at UC Santa Barbara, and thought this would be a good opportunity to do something creative. The festival was a student run arts and film festival called Reel Loud. At that time, I was only at the early stages of my transition, so I thought making something centered on this experience would be both introspective and inspiring for others. I chose to do an animation simply because I prefer working by myself, and doing an animation would be more manageable. All of these “coincidences” really pushed and helped me complete this project that you see here, and I think it turned out great.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me about a month and a half from start to to finish, but the actual making of the film took only a month. It was sort of a challenge for myself as well as a creative outlet to finish something within such a short amount of time.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle was that I had zero prior experience with animation. I did a lot of research and experimentation before I actually started the project. I had a good idea of where the film was going, but my practical skills were limited. As I moved along with this project, I had to simplify a lot of my ideas. However, because of my lack of experience, I was able to give this film such a unique and simple style that I think a lot of people appreciate.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It has been some time since I have finished this project, so watching the feedback video kind of rekindled my passion and desire to create something again. Seeing this thing that I have created actually impacts and inspires people definitely makes me want to start another project.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I think I have always been drawn to making art, whether it be painting, music, or film. I love being able to express something without being literal. Film in particular stuck with me because it is one of the things that helped me through hard times and self discovery. So when it came to picking a major for college, I chose to study film.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I’m a big Star Wars fan so the Star Wars movies are probably the ones I’ve re-watched the most.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I loved the feedback video, so I hope other festivals would also do some sort of feedback if possible.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The submission process was easy and smooth. No complaints.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is probably going to night markets and eating a bit of everything.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I just started a new job, so I don’t have as much time to do my own thing. But this experience definitely makes me want to do something like this again.