NOTE: Answered by Judd Cherry
1. What is your screenplay about?
– A hopeful group of comedy upstarts travel the country performing and grinding out a name for themselves, all while surfing the bonds of friendship and facing the trials and tribulations of that touring road life.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
– That’s Our Show is a TV pilot script but Aaron and I think the world of touring performers and the college activities market is wholly unexplored in TV and Film. Not only is it an entertaining universe in real life, but the characters you meet at every turn make this an arena that deserves to be see not just by the people who live in it.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
– Funny. Bonkers.
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
– Trading Places. Star Wars. It’s a very long list
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
– Aaron and I first came up with the idea back in 2018 when we both happened to be in Europe at the same time. We met for wine and the ideas started flowing. This one is a world that both he and I have worked in for a long time so we felt it was a perfect foray for us to partner on.
7. How many stories have you written?
– Tons. I’ve been writing for most of my life so I couldn’t really give you a hard number. Same goes for Aaron. We’ve both been working in entertainment and making things since college and before.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
– Currently I’m on The Fratellis and can listen to Henrietta over and over.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
– Covid definitely had an impact as we would normally meet in person for a few hours a week to write and doing that virtually wasn’t easy. Prior to the pandemic the biggest obstacle was figuring out the world we were creating and how far we wanted to stretch an already unique and wild reality. We went back and forth on a few things to get the script into what we believe is a great place.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
– I love filmmaking, directing, and being creative. I’m also a collector of vintage toys and comics so that’s a dangerous passion to have. Aaron loves entertaining and creating. He also has become an expert in wine over the years that I’ve known him and know he’s passionate about that. And I can say with certainty that he’s passionate about raising his daughter to be a great human being, which I can attest to.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
– With any submission site there are always small things here and there but I’m generally very happy with everything that FilmFreeway has made available.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
– When we finished the script and show bible, Aaron and I wanted to find good outlets for exposure while we try to set the show up. I was in LA for 19 years until recently and Aaron is still there so getting the script into LA based fests and competitions was high on our priority list. Yours is established and we were psyched to get the feedback we did and honored to receive the accolades.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
A hopeful group of comedy upstarts travel the country performing and grinding out a name for themselves, all while surfing the bonds of friendship and facing the trials and tribulations of that touring road life.
Narration: Hannah Ehman
Otis: Sean Ballantyne
Margot: Kyana Teresa
Javi: Bill Poulin
Kevin: Steve Rizzo