1. What is your screenplay about?
It is set in the 70’s and centers around a runaway named Ruth and an alien named Peter. Together they travel across the mid-southwest to help Peter get back to his home. Meanwhile Ruth finds her own inner strength.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I think it would be a great film to produce because it touches on so many little things about humanity, and the characters are very relatable.
I also think it is a good story to show young girls that their ideas have power. It would also be a great film because it depicts nerodivergence in a light that does not make the character seem feble or incapable of thought.
There is a deeper wisdom to it all that I feel would make audiences feel good, without ot being too campy.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Road to Perdition
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
The idea has been around most of my life , but I drafted this story during the first lock down of the 2020 pandemic.
7. How many stories have you written?
I have done a lot of ground work for stories and I am proud to say I have some of the work finished. However, as with all work, many of my pieces are a work in progress.
I have drafted 4 seasons of a Urban fantasy tv series ( The World Takes)
Wrote and edited three shorts , ( Gun, Value of a Ring, and Spirit of the Rain,) but I have drafted out at least 6 others.
Aside from Runaway Ruth, I have drafted two and a half other features ( which I feel personally are still in development.)
Lastly, I am outlining a story about the mob.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
For Runaway Ruth I listened to alot of the Killers album “Sam’s town,” and David Bowie.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
This would be a story in itself.
Simply put this story came out of my need to express pent up feelings and occupy my time durring the pandemic.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Arts, filmmaking, helping people, walking and taking time to enjoy nature.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
So far so good it is very easy to work with and read .
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I enjoyed my feedback. It was very helpful and validating.
I was compelled to enter because it felt like the next best step to take with my writing. It isn’t written till it is read.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
It’s the 1970s and Ruth, an imaginative fifteen year old, has had enough of her mother’s abuse and decides to run away. She immediately finds trouble, but is rescued by an ultraterrestrial named Peter. After striking up a friendship, the two of them set off on the road to find the mysterious Engineer. Along the way, they dodge threats and escape sticky situations. Ruth pushes through it all and finds her inner strength.
Narrator: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Principal (M-45): Sean Ballantyne
Mrs. Marshal (F-35): Hannah Ehman