WUHAN EXPRESS was the winner of BEST DIRECTION at the September 2021 COMEDY Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was motivated to make this film because I read an article saying Chinese restaurants were being hurt by the pandemic. People were targeting Chinese restaurants to boycott because of the anger they felt about the pandemic. I thought that was ridiculous and I wanted to tell a story to highlight that struggle for the restaurant owners, but do it in a comedic way because the pandemic was sad enough on its own.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me about 10 months from initial conception to final edit.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Biggest obstacle was Covid, I was the first show to shoot during the Covid protocols and it affected everything from sound to casting.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
My initial reaction was just overwhelming happiness. It is just nice to hear strangers talk about my film and I was excited when they were picking up on jokes or themes that I wanted to be prevelant.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was a little kid who always messed with a camera, but it wasn’t until junior year of high school did I realize I wanted to make movies when people just kind of assumed I would because I talked about movies so much and I realized…”Hey, I could actually do this!”
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Back to the Future hands down!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I like FilmFreeway, very easy and user friendly, for me at least.
9. What is your favorite meal?
I love food so this is hard, but I could always go for some buffalo wings.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have moved to New York and am working on film sets, but I am writing shorts and trying to get more involved in standup comedy!