RIGGED was the winner of BEST FEATURE DOCUMENTARY Film at the September 2021 DOCUMENTARY Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We are motivated to overthrow the prevailing Wealthist value system in higher education that is now driving growing economic divergence between rich and poor in the US and around the world.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make your film?
3. How would you describe your short film in two words?
Wealthism vs. Opportunity
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Organizing interviews during the Covid Era.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Gratitude for their thorough attention and understanding, and their shared sense that the ideas in the film need to be widely considered.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
We knew from giving speeches and writing on the topic that people become motivated when they see how the current, 80’s era Wealthist value system in higher education clashes with the goals of providing widespread economic opportunity and optimizing human capital development. The need to motivate more people to understand the relation between social mobility and higher education drove us to utilize the full dimensions film provides to convey ideas, evoke emotion and incite change.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Not a film per se; footage of MLK “I have a Dream”
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
We greatly appreciate the access and thorough descriptions of available festivals that FilmFreeway provides. This greatly helped us make good submission choices.
9. What is your favorite meal?
One with friends and good conversation.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
We’re thinking about a new film aimed at fomenting revolution in standardized testing and assessment.