LA SCHEMA played to rave reviews at the September 2021 BLACK & WHITE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
This film was originally made for the Nashville Opera as part of their film noir contest.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make your film?
This project originally took only a couple months to produce, but was modified throughout quarantine. From inception to final product, it took about 9 months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle with our film actually became our biggest blessing. It was the RAIN. The rain seen in the film is REAL. For the contest, we only had a limited film window. The first night of filming it was downpouring, and we did not know if we could realistically operate camera equipment and borrowed costumes in it. With umbrellas and some gumption, we pulled it off and the film would not be the same without it.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I loved the audience feedback I received for our film. It is so encouraging! It was a risk to do a story rich film with no dialogue, but quite wonderful to find that people not only could follow along, but enjoyed it. Plus, I love the characters in old Hollywood film noir and it was amazing to hear that Golden Age Hollywood is not dead.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I always loved storytelling. Even growing up I would make films for school projects, but it wasn’t until the last few years that I started realizing the number of stories I could tell with film. Now that’s all I want to do.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Wow! This is a hard question, because I am a MOVIE REPEATER!!! I love rewatching films. I get hooked on one and watch it until I know every line and dissect all the angles. However, I would probably say “The Sound of Music”, “Twister”, or a handful of Christmas movies.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I like FilmFreeway. It is easy to submit films. I do wish it would perhaps sort festivals into more categories.
9. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is homecooked meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I am using the success of “La Schema” to officially launch my film production company, Like The Game Pictures. We just completed a comedy thriller short film and picture wrapped a romantic comedy. Both films are anticipated to hit film festivals later this year. We are so excited for future projects and grateful for these festival experiences.