AGAINST MY WILL played to rave reviews at the August 2021 WILDsound Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Even though this story is a fiction, it was written from real events experienced or told by those very close to me. My own experience with lockdowns is also infused into the storyline.
It is indeed this common experience lived by many people that inspired me to write a story describing the slow downfall of a person affected by the deprivation of freedom that destroys her psychologically. I also wanted to explore the consequences on her married, family and professional life.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Based on what happened in France in November 2020, the story was written in December 2020, shot in January 2021 and the post-production took place until April 2021 to deliver the movie in the heat of the moment as the subject is very contemporary.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Unexpected – Puzzling
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I had very little time to complete the film from the idea to the finish line. Because of this, I had to rush out everything. The script writing, cast completion, rehearsal, shooting and post-production were all done in 4 months and this was very time-consuming and difficult with a few hours of sleep everyday.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
They nailed it! Some reactions were incredibly on point with my vision of the movie and what I wanted the audience to feel and understand about the story. This was very satisfying to hear it. It would be great to have a second part with the most negative (but realistic) reactions too.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I began to shot with a “family” camera at ten years old but I really realized that I wanted to make films at sixteen years old. Unfortunately, I devoted myself to my engineering studies and my professional career and only came back in 2020 in the cinematographic universe.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Without hesitation, The Matrix. As a teenager, I must have seen it in loop more than a hundred times! It really blew my mind and it shaped my vision on so many things.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I found it the best way to submit a film to festivals. It’s better than any other platform currently in the market.
9. What is your favorite meal?
New Orleans Gumbo!
10. What is next for you? A new film?
The restrictions due to the pandemic are constantly slowing me down but if it gets better, I’ll begin shooting my next project which is a thriller/Sci-Fi mini series intended for distribution on Youtube.