1. What is your novel about?
A young girl discovers a strange portal to a distant land after a lightning strike hits her beloved tree house. Through this portal, she learns of a child in grave danger, and tries to help the child escape.
2. What genres would you say this story is in?
Adventure, Fantasy, Young Adult
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Back to the Future
5. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Break on Through – The Doors
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
7. What motivated you to write this story?
As a kid I would wander back behind my house, climb trees, and daydream. I wanted to capture the magic of just that simple act, and what it might lead to. I also wanted to highlight the importance of connecting with people who might seem far away, whether that’s geographically, ideologically, culturally, or anything in between.
8. If you could have dinner with one person (dead or alive), who would that be?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Family, travel, sports, the outdoors, and good conversation.
10. What influenced you to enter your story to get performed?
This story has been in my head for several years now, in one shape or another, so I thought it would be beneficial to hear it outside of my own inner voice.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Keep writing, write bad stuff, and be ok with it.
I struggle with this daily, and I’ve heard it told me a thousand times, but it’s still the most important advice I can offer.
Watch the Novel Transcript Reading: