C. P. CAVAFY | THE CITY was the winner of BEST PERFORMANCES at the June 2021 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The initial motivation was C. P. Cavafy’s classic poem “The City”, which I had the inspiration to set music to and perform it. After that I wanted to visualize this sound recording and shared that idea with my friend and excellent cinematographer Panagiotis Kountouras.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
What you see is a one-day shoot that was enriched with 3 small parts of animation in post-production.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Our initial thought was to make the film shooting in an abandoned industrial environment. In the meantime, in a place called Mati (Eye) in Attiki, in July 2018 the deadliest fire in Greece, and internationally in the last decade, took place. Our perspective towards the project was completely changed since we decided to film in the fire-stricken location a few days after the event, making this way a poetic live-action documentary.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The impact the film had in so many different ways was really touching. By the way, I think that the idea of making these audience reactions videos is brilliant! And makes your festival experience stand out. Thank you for your role as a mediator between us and the audience in such an innovative way -especially during these trying times.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I realized that through my drawings as a kid I wanted to tell stories. The drawings became comics, the comics became animated shorts and TV series and now even books, songs and live-action films.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Walt Disney’s “Fantasia”.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
FilmFreeway is a very helpful platform for filmmakers, especially in finding festivals as yours -the Environmental Film & Screenplay Festival- specializing in subjects of our interest and our film core thematic.
9. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite “meal” is Panagiotis Kountouras’ latest short film “IVAN”, which as its two screenwriters Taxiarchis Deligiannis and Vassilis Tsiouvaras describe is “a meal of raw reality”.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Two films in fact, produced by Syllipsis. A new animated short “The Song of the Fates” supported by the Greek Film Centre and the Greek Ministry of Culture and another live-action film co-directed once again by Panagiotis and myself, based on Iakovos Kambanellis’ poetry and Mikis Theodorakis’ music from their masterpiece “Mauthausen” in a new version vocally performed by me and Aris Zervas, an excellent cellist.