THIS MODERN MAN IS BEAT was the winner of BEST THRILLER SHORT FILM at the June 2021 THRILLER Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have won 69 best screenplay awards for 8 different scripts. I wanted to see my words put on the screen.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
The project began as a graduate school project (2012), won 12 best screenplay awards, including the Beverly Hills FF Golden Palm award (2013) where I meet lead actor Jordi Villasuso, later meet director Alex Merkin, raised over $30k on a Kickstart campaign, shot the film in 3 days, followed by final editing (2016). I grew a beard for 6 months before principle photography (attached).
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Starting. My mentor, Tom Musca, made me say, ‘I’m making a movie.’
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Better than any trophy!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I loved all media. I always loved telling of stories to friends, later as a disc jockey at college, published author, then evolving into film. I did my first marathon, because my neighbor told me if I did, I would have a good story to tell. I did 8 more marathons.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life? ONE?
Tough question. Shawshank Redemption.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
9. What is your favorite meal?
The next one.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
To write a feature version of ‘Modern Man.’ Sell a screenplay. Get my sophomore project produced.