HIT THE BUCKET was the winner of BEST FILM at the June 2021 MUSIC Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
– I used to always watch a group of cypher rappers perform in union square on fridays. One day in particular, I saw 2 rappers- Henny Mack and Mike Mezzl going bar for bar with one another to the beat of a bucket drummer. I was so inspired by it that I went home and wrote the script.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
– From idea to finished product, it took about a year and a half to complete.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
– Musical community
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
– Scheduling. We were able to get the cast and crew that we wanted but it ended up being a lot of people. It was tough finding 2 days that everyone would be available, weather would be nice enough to shoot, and covid cases would be low enough for us to shoot.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
– It was so surreal seeing people who I had no affiliation talking about the film. There was one reviewer in particular whose excitement about it truly moved me in a way I can’t express. Those kinds of responses feel so rewarding as a filmmaker.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
– I watched a documentary on Richard Linklater as a senior in high school which first planted the idea in my head. Then I read a book by filmmaker Ed Burns, who mainly talked about making micro budget films. I felt like I could relate to these guys personally and as storytellers. The way they talked about films and the ability to express yourself and your ideas through them made it something I wanted to pursue.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
– Remember The Titans
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
– I love the platform. It makes it so easy to browse and submit to a bunch of festivals. It also makes it easier to find the hidden gem festivals.
9. What is your favorite meal?
– Steak and baked potatoes
10. What is next for you? A new film?
– I have been involved in a number of projects since as an editor, producer and coordinator. I would love to direct another short film before the end of the year and continue working on a feature script I’ve started.