1. What is your screenplay about?
The story takes place at a mining colony on a moon of the 4th planet in the Arcturus system. During the mining, the crew comes upon a mysterious box, with an unknown language etched into it and a crystalline sphere inside. Unbeknownst, to the miners, the object is an egg that hatches, and the creature inside kills the small animals in the lab and disappears into the mine. The crew and their two scientific support personnel, a geologist/Anthropologist and a doctor try to find it, using their computer sensors. It becomes more urgent, when the creature kills, first a cat and then one of the miners. Having figured a way to track it, the rest of the miners go after it. The first confrontation is disastrous, and they lose another miner. One miner, however, uses the appearance of the creature as a way to cheat the other miners out of their share of the profits, trying to kill the Geologist and another miner using the creature to do his dirty work. The plot fails. The Geologist translates the carving on the box and hatch a plot to kill the creature, using the geologist as bait.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Sci-Fi, Creature Feature
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
The characters are well-rounded, the storyline is universal. The premise is different and yet not that different. The science is believable. It would have a wide audience appeal.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Gimmee Gimmee Gimmee.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Making sure that the science was believable, with little suspension of belief necessary.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Music, Gardening, Artistic endeavors (painting, sculpture, stained glass work).
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I have been very pleased with Film Freeway, especially since they track entries, which means I can’t enter the same script twice to the same contest. They also provide a list of Wins, placements and rejections, so I have the information at my fingertips when I need it, and with over 400 wins and placements, I need that service. They will also give a little nudge to a Film Festival that does not publish or notify the people who entered in a timely manner.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The idea of the feedback provided is what induced me to put this script in for consideration, and I was very pleased with the feedback that I got and being told that the script was maybe one slight re-write away from being film worthy.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
A large spaceship glides over Peran, a moon circling a planet in the Arcturus System. Staying for a few moments, it drills a hole into the crust, deposits a box and silently leaves. Over 12,000 years later, Mining Colony Six occupies the same general area. The colony consists of six miners, a doctor and a geologist, the Doctor and the Geologist being married. It is 10 days until the end of their shift, and the crew is counting down the days. It’s boring work, but that is about to change.
Narrator: Val Cole
Arthur: Shawn Devlin
Stacey: Allison Kampf