KAERU was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the May 2021 BLACK & WHITE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
About 2 weeks.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Darkness VS Light
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The shaky that is present all along the movie. Without it, it just didn’t work.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I cried a little bit, honestly. It’s so touching.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The text that I wrote and that tunnel a friend showed me. Instantly it was like « I have to make something with those two things ». And after that everything just fell together. With that mask that I saw like 3 years ago. The performer Elizabeth with whom I already was working on other project.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Stalker by Tarkovsky
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Chaotic. But once you get through your first 2-3 films on this platform you can see which festivals make sense and which don’t.
9. What is your favorite meal?
Quarted Pounder with cheese haha Sorry for this one.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I always work on 4-5 projects at the same time. Right now I just finished a 16 min mockumentary and I’m about to finish a 10 minutes short with contemporary puppets 🙂