INHALATION played to rave reviews at the May 2021 FEMALE Feedback Film Festival.
What motivated you to make this film?
My first motivation to make this film was Covid 19 and the one year we stayed at home because of the lockdown. I want to express people’s emotions in suffering coping with this pandemic. Also, the news about how essential workers such as doctors and nurses all over the world are facing hard times in dealing with Covid 19 and its impact on their personal life. In November 2020 I started to read and hear news about true events happening to doctors in Egypt, England and the USA. In Egypt, some doctors and nurses suffer from some harassment because of people’s fear and anxiety from the infection. These events inspired me to make this short film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took three months, starting in December 2020 writing the idea and developing the script until shooting happened in February 2021.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
I can describe it as “Pandemic impacts”
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Shooting was one of the biggest obstacles as the film was low budget and I want to make sure that shooting utilities such as the camera and the sound is good and can shoot the scenes perfectly with the limited resources.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was my biggest reward to feel that the movie reached the audience’s heart, seeing their reactions and seeing their feedback was a bonus and a huge motivation to me.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
This is my first movie as a filmmaker. I started thinking about film directing one year ago, and I was not sure if I could do it until Covid 19. In 2020 and the coronavirus pandemic I feel I have things I want to share with the world and I need to express it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
“A Beautiful Mind” I think I watched many times and I love it
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is really a great platform, it is very easy and convenient for filmmakers to search and apply for festivals.
9. What is your favorite meal?
My Favorite meal is “Ful medames – Fava Beans” It is an Egyptian meal
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, it will be a new short film.