CONVERSATION AT DUSK was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the April 2021 ROMANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to make this film because I love being engaged by interesting characters and the relationships they have on screen. I also wanted to make a film in a time of covid and isolation and that celebrated close relationships and how important they are to us and the stages they go through. I was also very motivated to make this style of film as it was something I have always loved in movies and wanted to try myself.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I had the idea and the script a few years ago and originally had set it in a restaurant. I then after the UK lockdown was desperate to make it and reimagined to be a walk and talk film inspired by my favourite filmmaker Richard Linklater’s ‘Slacker’. We shot the film in one day in August 2020 and then had completed the edit and grade by October 2020 and then here we are!
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
As we wanted the film to feel fluid and constant it was hard to integrate those cuts and make it as smooth as possible to feel like it was one journey. We definitely walked up and down that road more than once and definitely not in one take. Also to add filming in covid times is especially hard as it was such new territory at that time in the UK; so we had minimal crew and chose to film outside and the crew wore masks and were tracked for symptoms before the shoot.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was honestly before watching it very scared about the feedback but I am genuinely taken aback and so appreciative of the time taken by the audience to give such kind and thoughtful comments and feedback, it’s really nice to know that people have enjoyed and taken something from this- so thank you!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you first realize that you wanted to make films?
I have always wanted to tell stories, there are too many home videos of shows and plays that prove this. To make films specifically at the age of 15 and since then I have been working in the industry, writing my own films and now finally making them consistently.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Before Sunrise- Richard Linklater which ties with Silver Linings Playbook- David O Russell and also Blood Diamond by Ed Zwick.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I have been really over whelmed with the support and feedback from the festival it really has exceeded all of my expectations and am really thankful for being apart of it.
9. What is your favorite meal?
Loaded potato skins which ties with Tacos and may be trumped by anything made of chocolate!
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have several projects that I have written that we are developing now so hopefully be able to shoot something before the summer this year.