1. What is your screenplay about?
It’s the pilot for a limited eight episode series about the discovery that a secret alien invasion is happening and life on Earth is systematically being altered or eliminated to make way for invaders to move in. They are engaging in biological warfare against the entire ecosystem.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Because it’s a new take on the old alien invasion trope that has been seriously overdone. Instead of alien ships descending on Earth and blasting away with ray guns and force fields, destroying real estate and getting themselves killed, I postulate the more logical course would be to turn to science and terraform the planet to suit their needs. It’s a new take on an old premise.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Frightening and provocative
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Lord of the Rings or How to Train Your Dragon
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Eight months for a 53 page pilot.
7. How many stories have you written?
Four screenplays, one TV pilot and I have 17 novels and several short stories published
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Good Charlotte’s The River
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The usual distractions of the Internet and streaming videos. There’s also the ongoing doubt that I’m any good.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Art, horses, travel and reading
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Very easy to navigate and use.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The feedback was excellent and I used it to improve the screenplay. Your festival has a good reputation and that’d important. Your festival is also affordable which is also important since I don’t have a lot of extra funds to put into contests.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
While searching for their missing parents, a botanical researcher and her conspiracy-minded brother discover deadly Mycorrhiza wreaking havoc on the largest rainforest on the west coast as aliens prepare to terraform Earth for themselves.
Narrator: Allan Michael Brunet
Ellen: Julie Sheppard
Timothy: Sean Ballantyne