What is your screenplay about?
—This is a story about free will and subjugation, slavery and colonization, all set within a spaceship that encapsulates the society at large. The spaceship carries cloned bodies that can be put to work using programs, and those programs can be exploited along with the bodies. But somebody on board is against that on moral ground and has planted a virus that turns the clones into raging marauders.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
—Science Fiction, Horror, Drama, Thriller.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
— Besides being a nerve-wracking, pulse pounding thrill ride, the issues that drive the themes are deeply relevant to today’s world.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
— SciFi zombies!
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
— The Big Lebowski
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
— 3 years, on and off.
7. How many stories have you written?
—3 novels for adults. Champion Of The Dead, a murder mystery set in Ancient Athens, was published by Hilliard& Harris in 2003.
—4 novels for chapter book readers, a science fiction series, which I self-published the first.
— 19 screenplays so far.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
— Don’t have a clear favorite.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
— I work full time as an engineer at a TV station, so the usual time constraints.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
— Reading. Movies. Hiking.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
— Pretty flawless. The only gripe I have is I must update the site, along with Coverfly, ISA, and Inktip. That’s a lot of maintenance.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
— I don’t recall why I entered, but the festival and feedback were very nicely done. Good work!
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
After a cargo of cloned bodies on a starship rise up as blood-thirsty marauders, a young apprentice learns that some of the crew have reasons for planting the deadly disruptor virus — even as he struggles with his own shattered past and empathy for the clones.
Narrator: Allan Michael Brunet
Kabir: Sean Ballantyne
Dhruv: Bill Poulin
Drew: Andy Kamp