HONG KONG DIALOGUES played at the January 2021 Political Documentary Festival to rave reviews.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Well , we didn’t know each other at first, we were filming separated in the scene on our own but later we met, a few of us, we were filming for different pages and media, later on we decided to make some of our unseen footages into a film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Around nine months….I guess.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The Hong Kong Police tried every way to block people to film, strobe, yelling, sometimes pushing, holding up canister of pepper spray, and they were checking everyone’s ID just to show off their power, they also say that the student’s report card is not valid, they shouldn’t be filming there. Also, we can’t use our real names because there are possibility that they will arrest people who tell the truth.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I felt very grateful, I sent the video to the others immediately. I felt a little sorry for you guys to watch this film, because I edited the film, I understand it’s hard to watch.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
We noticed that we had to film it, we all had that feeling and obligation, people could hardly sleep for days during that time.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Not sure about this one.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is alright. Just a platform for me, but the showreel of WILDSOUND is quite good so I submitted.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Close to you – Carpenters
10. What is next for you? A new film?1. What motivated you to make this film?
Don’t know yet, probably something political too but more subtle. The protesters of Hong Kong, the young ones mostly, inspired us a lot, that they are not afraid to die for protecting something valuable to them.