What is your screenplay about?
A cheap red sofa bed hosts an inter dimensional entity that thrives on orgasmic energy. To sit upon it inhibitions fall aside in favor of immediate libidinous gratification. Causing chaos for many owners, it changes hands fast. When it passes through the Vegas underworld, stolen payoff money is stashed inside. It is pursued by criminals, the FBI and one strange guy who’d held onto it long enough to develop a deep connection to its portal.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I’d like to show audiences the people and the Las Vegas that aren’t usually found in films.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
About a year
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
While I still prefer In a Gadda Da Vida musically, (especially the recently remastered extended version) I’ve been playing Socrates the Python late at night habitually since first hearing it decades ago.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Granting power to the Red Sofa Bed without allowing the supernatural to entirely dominate the story
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I’m a musician.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I like the film freeway submission system, easy to use yet still seems to have so much more to explore. I try to make browsing it a part of my work routine.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I read and look at whatever is posted about each festival I’m interested in a number of times to try to get a feeling for its expectations or sensibilities. After reading this one a few times I felt it could be a good fit, but I’m always surprised to be selected for anything at any level
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
A cheap second hand red sofa bed is a weird portal to hedonistic damnation. In its presence inhibitions are shed and pleasure the only preoccupation. It falls into the hands of Ritchie; a prostitution ring’s foot soldier. The Red Sofa Bed causes a whorehouse cash exchange with a dirty cop to go awry. When the prostitution ring leader; Mason suspects Ritchie, he is tasked with finding the cash or else. The dirty cop; Detective Shine, is on Mason ’s payroll. He is out to recover the cash and execute the responsible parties. Young women are killed by this dirty cop and a strong arm associate as they seek the answers. Having tracked her younger sister’s phone to a shabby vacant house and finding the killers, an angry woman is out for revenge. Chaos is consistently in the Red Sofa Bed’s wake as it changes hands in Vegas. Special federal agents who are investigating Mason’s operation, confiscate the Red Sofa Bed. Learning of the Red Sofa Bed’s power from the guy who sold it to him, Ritchie offers it to Mason in lieu of the missing money but not before the federal agents test it out and rig it with a microphone to try getting the evidence to bring Mason down.
Narrator: Geoff Mays
Agent Blaine/Joel: Shawn Devlin
Miriam/Roberta: Julie Sheppard
Ted/Doctor Davenport: Sean Ballantyne
Gail/Lisa: Val Cole