SEAGULL played to rave reviews at the Female Filmmakers January 2021 Festival.
Catherine Fridey (co-producer/actor/writer)
Cat Jones (director/co-producer/actor)
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Catherine: I was born in France and raised in the U.S. Growing up, I heard a lot of stories about what my family endured during World War Two, and some of the story was inspired by what they went through.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Catherine: It took me a few days to write the first draft.
Catherine and Cat: The shoot itself from start to finish lasted about 3 months. Principal photography was one day, but set design and taking it down was split into two days.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Catherine and Cat: Female espionage.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Catherine: We only had the location for shooting for one day, so we had to complete principal photography in that amount of time. The shoot day was about 14 hours.
Cat: Making the film on a shoestring budget.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Catherine and Cat: Very pleased with the constructive and positive feedback about the different aspects of the film (acting, cinematography, production design, editing, sound design).
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Catherine: As I mentioned earlier, my family’s experiences living through World War Two in France.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Catherine – The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Cat – The Dark Knight
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Catherine and Cat: Submitting on FilmFreeway is a very convenient and painless process.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Catherine – Ramble On by Led Zeppelin
Cat – Starman by David Bowie
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Catherine – I am focusing more on writing right now, and have feature scripts and two series in the hands of producers and managers.
Cat – I am in development working on adapting an historical fiction novel into a limited series.