1. What is your screenplay about?
Tom watched his dad go broke farming. He planned never to go down that road, but he returned from a war seeking peace on the old farm. To his surprise, he found war can follow a person home. Wheat Dandy is the story of a man who saw that it is a big world out there, but there is something about growing wheat that makes a man find himself and life’s purpose.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Fiction, family, and reality situations
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
This story is timely, up-to-date, centering around a military man, raised on a farm, who returns home seeking a place for refuge. I think it could be inspiring but also people can identify with these people.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
It is a Wonderful Life
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Over two years
7. How many stories have you written?
I do not count this. I have over seventy published novels published and a series of cookbooks
8. What is your favorite song? (Or what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
“You’ll Never Walk Alone”
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I think just daily life got tougher for many people. The covid-19 lockdowns for one thing. I never thought we would all be wearing masks and it seemed so strange, just everywhere and then people started avoiding public places and things and it became very odd and troubling. We all hope for this to get better and then back to normal, of course.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Singing, I guess and cooking. Sometimes singing in the kitchen and cooking up a storm. I have always enjoyed both.
11. You entered your screenplay via Film Freeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
This is excellent. I would not have known how to do any of this without them.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I liked the focus of the festival and thought I would like it. I have enjoyed the feedback also.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Dad’s death throws the wheat farm into turmoil
Sis and husband felt for years they owned the place, they had raised their children here, and worked day and night to keep the place financially stable. They had fought disease, insects, and violent weather. Now they faced financial ruin, and local politicians and a bank wanting to develop the land. Into this mix, comes her brother, disillusioned and angry, discharged due to malaria he caught in a tour of duty in a tropical jungle. Bitter and disillusioned, he briefly finds relief with old friends, but one is suddenly killed in a fiery crash of her crop duster. Torn by memories, he finds the place a haunting trap. Could the kid who was once ridiculed in school as “Wheat Dandy” because of his homemade clothes find the heart in his dark soul to save the family farm. This is a story of the things which are best in the human spirit, courage, humbleness, and its unlikely heroes.
Narrator: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Tom: Sean Ballantyne
Bob: Shawn Devlin
Frances James/Clay: Steve Rizzo
Sis/Lucty: Kyana Teresa