BODY AND SOUL was the winner of BEST FILM at the December 2020 Female Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to talk about sexuality and the weight it can have on our shoulders. It is one of the subject in which we always refer to others, because no one knows how to do it, creating a norma and many “you should”. But sexuality is different for each one and if it’s ok now to have a different way of expressing it, not having any desire for sexuality is still something we still don’t understand. I just wanted to ask these questions and to work around them.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took me a year and a half approximately.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Let’s say as many movies this year: covid 19… But finally we managed ! Due to a really great team in both shooting and post.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was scared because it is always difficult to see the reaction to a work you put so many feelings in. But also I was really grateful to this people to have taken time to review this short, and it was also overwhelming to see that this film is passing on all the messages, images and feelings that I wanted to, to strangers who don’t know me at all.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I knew the subject I wanted to talk about, because I was really interested in female sexuality already, and I really wanted to talk about the pressure we are able to put on ourselves because of the other’s look. From here I had the idea and the character.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I would say “Big Fish” from Tim Burton, in which I love the poetry and the mix between reality and imagination.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think it is great, because it is really intuitive. It present a lot of different festivals, from different prices and it is really enjoyable to simplify your research. Diffusing is complicated, so this kind of platforms helps a lot.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I listen to a lot of music and I change every time. This year of course I listened a lot to “Tainted Love” (Gloria Jones version) because of the short, but also to many songs of Nightwish which are inspiring me a lot.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I hope so ! For now I’m not even in the writing process, but I have some new ideas that I’d love to bring from my head to concrete scripts.