A REASON TO FIGHT played to rave reviews at the November 2020 Dance Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Kirsten Bloom Allen (ballerina) wanted to make a film to create awareness about people suffering from suicidal thoughts and mental illness.
The song used in the film is written by the metal band Disturbed. They wrote the song after a close friend to one of the band members committed suicide.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
We planned it for a couple of weeks together with the director Jason O. Silva.
We shot the whole film in one night. We finished shooting and dancing around 3AM in the morning. Never before have any of us dancers danced until that late and it was very challenging.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We shot the film in long dancing sequences, it was difficult to have the technical aspects of ballet to be spot on in every shot since the shots were around 40 sec each.
Especially when we moved late into the night.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It seemed like everybody could relate to the inner struggle that is symbolized through the short film. The whole team behind the film was very pleased with our accomplishment and our mission, to tell the story through dance and no words.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
It was Kirsten Bloom Allen’s idea to create a film to bring awareness of people struggling with inner demons and suicidal thoughts.
We choreographed around the idea of a character dancing between the good and the evil inner forces. In this way we felt we could express a mental struggle through dance. We are all very pleased with the final result.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Wolf of Wall Street by Martin Scorsese
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Great. Fast and easy process.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky (we have all performed the ballet a million times)
10. What is next for you? A new film?
The Team behind A Reason To Fight has just released the short film Pas De Deux, which premiered on Newport Beach Film Festical and can be watched here: