Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Lukas Hassel: The script deals with friendship and taking stock of life. Old age is not for the weak of heart.
With escalating dementia pushing elderly Bella into a nursing home, this die-hard Clark Gable fan decides to go on one last road trip across the US to attend a screening of a re-mastered Gone With the Wind. United in the desire to help Bella achieve her dream, two elderly friends who can’t abide each other come along.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
With three female protagonists in their 80’s, this is a film i just don’t see out there. It would be wonderful to rediscover three silver screen actresses who no longer gets juicy roles offered a chance to shine their talents. It would make a film unlike any others out there.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Cabaret, By far my favorite film of all time. Cinematography, script, editing, acting and sound is stellar.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It was the first screenplay I wrote, probably 15 years ago. Back then I didn’t have many skills in writing, and over the last many years I honed my craft. Last year, I dug out the script from the vault and gave it a massive rewrite with what I’ve learned.
7. How many stories have you written?
Three short scripts ( all made into short films). 5 feature screenplays. 1 TV pilot.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
The Winner Takes it All. Abba.
Ridiculously hard to pick a favorite song. 🙂
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Reimagining the story for the serious huge rewrite so many years later. See through the old drafts and figure out what worked and what didn’t.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I’m an actor and filmmaker, passionate about both. I’m passionate about getting the GOP and the disastrous current government of the White House I’m passionate about my friends and family.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It’s excellent. User-friendly and efficient.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I like to support LGBTQ festivals and knew of the team behind this festival. They always do a great job.
For future reference, with regards to the videotaped readings, it might be helpful to connect the actors doing the reading have a quick email exchange with the writer for questions and notes. Nothing lengthy. I could have given a quick and simple adjustment to the actress playing Sweet Sue that would have made the performance more in line with what the script needs to be.
With escalating dementia pushing elderly Bella into a nursing home, this die-hard Clark Gable fan realizes she must to go on one last road trip clear across to the US to attend a screening of Gone With the Wind. United in their desire to help Bella achieve her dream, two elderly friends who can’t abide each other, come along.
Narrator: Allison Kampf
BELLA: Victoria Urquart
SWEET SUE: Alicia Ryan