ANIMAL was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the October 2019 Experimental/Dance/Music Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Raphaël THIERS: I have many dreams of film…but many of them are too big !… Here i was convinced I could do it with a short team, and a low budget. As soon as i discovered this room of a slaughterhouse, I had the intuition I should film a dancer body in it …
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
The desire : almost 6 years ago….
But when the decision has been made, about 5 months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Our low budget enforded us to use a camera without an inside card but with a external solid drive : not a good idea ! I let you guess what happended as soon as we had to balance or move the camera … So i was very happy to have a dslr as a rescue camera …
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I would say truly joy .. The audience was sensible to the way i magnified the dance and the body of my dancer in this slaughterhouse. That was my purpose !…
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
At the beginning Animale was a short choreographic performance created for an Art Museum , and directed by the choreographer Lisie philip of the Antipodes Compagny . I had a profound reaction to this dance performance.and wanted to share it with others. As I said in point 1, I choosed this former room of a slaughterhouse as a cinema set because It was so …cold i had to warm it with beauty…
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly – Sergio Leone
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Not so bad! My film has been seen on another continent !
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Escale of Mathieu Geghre, it was the music of a performance i have danced about 200 times ! …
10. What is next for you? A new film?
No, just dreams !..