RED CHEF REVIVAL was the winner of BEST FILM & BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the October 2019 TV Web Series Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Danny Berish: What motivated us to make this series was based on how embarrassingly little we knew about the indigenous culture and cuisine.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
From conception to completion for all 6x 22min episodes it took almost 2 years.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Filming in remote communities which are difficult to get too and sometimes without power!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Great! We we’re thrilled the series connected with so many of the audience!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
We met Rich Francis, one of the hosts of the show on another shoot. In fact he was just doing catering on the shoot when he told us about his passion for indigenous cuisine. We knew there was more to the story and that’s where it began!
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Indiana Jones / the original three (not the later ones).
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It makes it easy that’s for sure. On the flip side there are so many film festivals out there and knowing which are reputable or not can be difficult.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
A tribe called quest – can i kick it
10. What is next for you? A new film?
We’re working on a documentary on Canada’s oldest Nudist club, a polar opposite to Indigenous food and travel!