Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
Unlike a typical coming out story I wanted to write a movie that shows the struggle of the family around the child. I’m from the Mountains of NC and addressing the relationship between religion and homosexuality was important to me because I’ve witnessed, first hand, so many using religion as an excuse to dismiss homosexuality as a sin and that goes against the doctrine of Christianity which is all about love, acceptance and non judgement.
But in the same respect I wanted to show the side of the religious parents not as demons and bad people. They are very loving parents but just misguided.
So the story is about that struggle to reconcile their faith and their heart felt beliefs with what those around them are saying is wrong.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Drama. Faith based Drama. Family Drama. Remember the Titans meets Boys don’t cry.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s so timely and relevant to the political times right now. Especially with Trump and Pence in office trying to move the Human Rights movement backwards.
I want people to see this story and question what it means to be a Christian. Can you call yourself a Christian while you lay judgement on a while community? I want people to really look at what their religion says about love and tolerance. About acceptance, forgiveness and judgement. You can’t pick and choose what you want to use from your holy book and ignore the rest. That goes for all religions.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Moving and thought provoking.
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Tie: Silver Linings Playbook and Puncture.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Two and a half years.
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Anything by the Avett Brothers. Lately Head Full of Doubt. But I’m really eclectic about music. My playblist has Eagles, The Doobie Brothers , Dr Hook and Pink, Enrique Iglesias and Pitt Bull. Lol
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Mainly just time management and trying to afford the professional help for feedback for the rewrites. It is so important to me that story is told well.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Music. I love to sing. My first dream was to be on broadway. I grew up performing on stage. A lot of musicals and plays.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Really great. Easy to use as navigate. A lot of access to great festivals.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was looking for a Festival that would relate to and understand what I’m trying to say with this story. The feedback was excellent and I always take feedback seriously and think about what’s being said to me. I’m always grateful for the opportunity to elevate the story.
Genre: Drama, Romance, Sports
In the mountains of North Carolina a high school football coach’s love for his teenage daughter comes into clash with his religious views when he learns that she is a lesbian in this story of family and acceptance.