THE LAST REBEL OF HISTORY, 8min., USA, Fashion
Directed by Joel Luthuli Carter, Desiree Ibanez
This is an experimental fashion film that asks the question, what if we as a people were radicalized to do good? Would our world be a different place?
Get to know filmmaker Joel Luthuli Carter:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I wanted to push the envelope further with story telling of fashion films. They were falling flat especially in the luxury space at a time after COVID where connection was essential and mainly done on the phone
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 3 months
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Budget restraints so we had to be scappy and really push for this film to have the quality of our peers without big budgets
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I loved it. I showed it to the crew and they really were taken aback by the detail that they were able to share around our story line. They actually got it.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I realized in 2018 when I started realizing that creativity shouldn’t be limited. It started from a playlist and then I realized I needed to start touching visuals to add a comprehensive feel to my fashion line.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
My most seen film is Casino – I love the story and the cuts centered around one place
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think having even more outreach and marketing towards the filmmakers audience. I think assets are important here but an innovative way to make others pay attention within their own audience would go a long way.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great. Very easy and straight forward. I submitted to a few in a short time.
10. What is your favorite meal?
General Tso’s Shrimp – Im a New Yorker and you can find this anywhere
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We will keep promoting this film and then have a release event and viewing party to stream and share with the world