I WIN played to rave reviews at the March 2022 FEMALE Feedback Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I admire the joy and playfulness of children and also I think that my fighting nature from a young age influenced the story.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I believe it didn’t take us long. I shared the idea for the film with screenwriter Iveta Stavreva and the final draft was ready maybe in a few weeks. We started shooting right away. The shooting was only for 1 day. Post production took us a bit longer, but it was so worth it.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
This short film was my first, on which I was working with children. I can say it was a pleasant hardship. From that experience I realized that I enjoy children on set and their free spirit and huge imagination in the process. The little girl, her name is Hana, came to voice recording with different toys. She said they were to get into a role easier. This was my first and only time an actor takes props with them for voice recording.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Strong sense of meaning and recharging. Such sincere feedback made me feel driven again, because I see the importance and how the message of the film provokes emotions, thoughts and discussion. That’s what cinema and art in general are made for, right. To reach and talk to the audience.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Cinema is a window to a part of reality that we might not notice without it. It’s my best teacher. So I think somehow moviemaking found me, not the opposite way. And I am so grateful for it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Maybe Jojo Rabbit. I love that movie and all the work of Taika Waititi.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I can suggest Masterclasses and Workshops with proven professionals in the field. It will be an incredible benefit for novice filmmakers to hear advice and guidance and ask questions.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I had absolutely no problems.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Bulgarian banitsa and lutenitsa. I can eat that all the time.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am thinking about my MA and where it will be most suitable for me. I want to study film production and art management, because I see how important it is for my creative work. I am just in this period of searching where exactly. Meanwhile, I am finishing a short movie that took me around 2 years to finalize. It is a children’s comedy about two boys who want to make movies and where their desire takes them.