“Voosch And Helina” was the March 2020 SCI-FI/FANTASY SHORT Screenplay Winner.
Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Joe Kourieh: This Sci-Fi short is about something all too familiar – a World War – but in an unfamiliar place (under the sea). Humans’ dominance over the planet has been lost and they are now at the mercy of warring animal alliances. The characters in this scene represent a drastic hierarchy, and are trapped within it (for some, literally). The moral truth of the situation is different from everyone’s perspective. The Octopoids blame the humans for some grave developments on Earth – but does that justify a genocide?
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
It is a Sci-Fi and also a drama piece. I would imagine that if produced it would likely be animation.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I believe it does the ideal job of a short film which is to capture a powerful and relatable emotional moment but with a distinctive twist to enhance the perspective given to the chosen emotion. It lets a very human conundrum breath freely in a new setting.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Not long, it’s one of my smaller projects. But still a fun one.
7. How many stories have you written?
In my head, hundreds. In screenplay format, about a dozen.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
Opeth – “Heir Apparent”
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I was challenged to keep it to just 5 pages.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Video games, shows, heavy metal, Boston sports, cats.
11. You entered your screenplay via Coverfly. What has been your
experiences working with the submission platform site?
Coverfly is absolutely awesome. Staying organized is so important, and their interface is just about flawless. I use it pretty much daily and recommend it. Also there’s no simpler place to browse quality screenplay contests and film fest listings.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings
on the initial feedback you received?
I will enter just about anything related to Sci-Fi and Fantasy or animation. I am always working toward breaking into these industries. The feedback provided for this entry was excellent – positive, and focused on the nature of the short film format.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
In the far future, the world is engulfed in a war with genocidal implications. One young soldier, faced with an innocent victim, juggles the pressures of duty and conscience in his many arms.
Human 2: Nick Hendrik
Human 1: Peter Valdron
Narrator: Justine Christensen
Helina: Rebecca MacDonald
Gaard: Thomas Fournier