PAPER TRAIL was the winner of BEST FILM at the 1 Minute Film Festival in September 2019 in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Ben Green: A friend was trying out a new incentive where he asked a group of film makers to each make a minute long film shot and edited on their iphones. The word for that week was ‘Words’ and I jotted down a few ideas and the ‘follow the trail’ one seemed the strongest. I pitched it to Emily Brown (my wife who just happens to be a multi talented director) and she connected with it straight away and knew exactly how she would direct it.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I wrote the script a few days before we filmed it. The filming itself took about 2-3 hours and we edited it the same day. It was all quite hassle free as everything was done on the iphone.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We wanted to do the whole thing on the iphone so it was all relatively straight forward. I put the titles on (hadn’t done that before) but it all worked out ok.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
We were so pleased when we watched the video. It’s such a great thing to do. We’d just woken up and I showed Emily at about 6AM. A lovely start to the day! It looked like it took a bit of time as well. You’d edited bits of our film into your video. Very much appreciated.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I wanted to make a funny, film with a spiteful twist. It was important that the main character was enjoying himself only to have the real reason for the post-its come up and slap him in the face at the end.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I’m going to put a few down as I’m a big film fan Die Hard, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Twelve Angry Men, Jaws, North by Northwest, The Longest Day
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Great platform. Definitely going to submit to your festival again if we make something that comes up to scratch.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Possibly the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac or Abbey Road by The Beatles
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Hopefully making some more short films on the iphone and a web series (all with Emily Brown directing again). I’m also, hoping to finish writing a new sitcom and a film. I’m going to continue to make sketches for my youtube channel too.