EULOGY FOR DENIS K was the winner of BEST PERFORMANCES at the December 2018 Female Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Julia Trofimova: I’m very intrigued by the question of the truth – how would it look like if everyone knew everything? Would this world still exist? Or a lie is a protection tool invented by God. The film is my attempt to talk about it.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I’ve been looking for an idea for quite a long time, but once I found the script and decided to produce and direct it, it took me 4 months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
It was actually pretty hard to find the fine line between comedy and drama. It’s very subtle, when you are talking about serious things like death, loss, lie, betrayal, but I needed to find the comedy edge to it. So casting and performances were the biggest challenge.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very pleased. I realized it does not even matter if the feedback is positive (though it was) but it’s just so precious and surprising to hear people talk about your own film.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I was looking for a dramedy with particular themes and I came across a wonderful script by C.J.Wells. We worked at the script a bit more together and then I was ready to direct it. Cassie is a real goddess of dramedy, I think she feels this genre very well.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
There is a Russian film that we watch every year on Christmas Eve. It’s called “The Irony of Fate”, and it’s a dramedy as well. It was shot in 70s but it’s still somehow very modern and subtle.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s the most convenient platform I know.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
“Smells like teen spirit” by Nirvana.
One of my kids plays this song now, so I’m sure I’ll listen to it even more:)
10. What is next for you? A new film?
— Yes, I shot two more short films and will send them to festivals soon.