SUSHI MAN played to rave reviews at the September 2018 Under 5 Minute Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Jessica Chung: This was my thesis to get my animation bachelors diploma.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took me about 10 months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Unexpected and playful.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Because I wanted to work on the story so much, I didn’t have much time to focus on the animation. So for me, the biggest obstacle was to move on from animation to start the rendering process.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I love how there were so many different opinions ans views about the story. Thank you so much you guys!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video of the Short Film:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I wanted the story to be very interesting and to have two main opposite characters that would somehow work together out in the end. I went through a couple of different options until I thought about a man that cuts fish for a living. At this point, I thought: “Oh, ok. Let me do a fish vs. man type of story” But, I ended up thinking of evolving the fish into a mermaid to add a romantic element.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I think it is between “Lilo and Stitch” by Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois, or “Modern Times” by Charlie Chaplin. xD
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think FilmFreeway is very convenient and easy to use.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Phew! This one is a hard one.. I would say it is “Let’s Groove” by Earth Wind and Fire. It was my alarm for probably two whole years in High School.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Working on a couple of exciting new projects that include music videos and animation in a feature film.