Get to know the writers:
1. What is your screenplay about?
In the world of 2056, in which dreaming is outlawed by an authoritarian state and sleep strictly controlled by the machine “Phobetor”,
a scientist enlists the help of an ancient Greek goddess to destroy it.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Athanasia: The intention of the film is to be an exciting story with various references and interpretations of elements deriving from Greek mythology,
using pioneering scientific theories that will be entwined together and presented under a new and original prism. I want to try at a very symbolic level to make a statement about the world today but make a film that has a feel good factor, bringing hope and making light of some of the darker worries that are brewing in this time of socioeconomic crisis and uncertainty.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
A dystopian nightmare with a happy end.
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Athanasia: The English Patient
Alexandra: Lord of the Rings
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
Athanasia: This is the first script Alexandra and myself have written together,
but we plan on writing more female-led fantasy stories!
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Athanasia: The National – Start a war & Empire line.
Alexandra: Faith No More – Epic
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Alexandra: Well… we built a huge world that simply didn’t fit in the short screenplay formatbut it would be more difficult for us to make a fantasy feature film in Greece(due to budget reasons), so we had to edit and adapt a few times
trying to find the right balance between world-building and character development.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Athanasia: Watching films, listening to music & dancing
Alexandra: Watching films, listening to music, going to live Jazz and Blues concerts
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
So far so good! It’s been super helpful.
Year 2056. A quantum machine named “Phobetor” controls society. Above other measures, dreaming is forbidden and there is absolute control of the allowed limit of sleep to 3-hours per day. Those who rebel by entering REM or a self-induced dream state, most are arrested and punished as traitors. Their penalty, essentially entering their own mind prisons where each individual’s Nightmare is personalized.